I’ve been a southern girl my whole life and I make the best Mississippi pot roast recipe. It’s easy to make and perfect for any day of the week!
- 2 pounds of beef roast
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper (to taste)
In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, stirring occasionally until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Whisk in flour until well combined with no lumps remaining (this will help thicken your gravy later). Add broth and bring to a boil while whisking constantly for about 5 minutes or until thickened slightly (should look like gravy). Reduce heat to medium low; add butter cubes one at a time allowing them to melt completely before adding another cube until all have been incorporated into the sauce mixture.*
- Brown the roast on all sides in a large skillet, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast from pot and shred with two forks; return shredded meat to pot with juices from crockpot. Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly (if desired). Serve over mashed potatoes or cornbread with green beans on the side!
A really easy recipe to make Mississippi pot roast.
This is a really easy recipe to make Mississippi pot roast. It’s also tasty and foolproof, which means you can make it in a slow cooker, pressure cooker or Dutch oven (or all three).
Here’s what you need:
- 4 pounds beef chuck roast (boneless)
- 1/2 cup flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for browning)
- Salt & pepper to taste
I hope you’re ready to dig into this delicious pot roast! I know it sounds like a lot of work, but I promise it’s worth it. You’ll love how tender and juicy the meat is, and how flavorful each bite is. If you want something extra special, try adding some potatoes or carrots to the bottom of your crockpot before adding all of those other ingredients listed above. They’ll soak up all that delicious gravy while they cook alongside everything else until everything is done cooking!