Sweet potatoes are a delicious, nutritious vegetable that can be baked in a variety of ways. You can roast them, turn them into chips or fries, or even make sweet potato soup.
Wash the sweet potatoes, then prick them all over with a fork.
To ensure your sweet potatoes bake evenly, it’s important that you wash them well before baking. This will remove dirt and other debris from the skin of each potato.
To prick a sweet potato with a fork or knife:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Use either a sharp paring knife or sturdy table fork (not one made of plastic) to make several holes in each potato about 1/4 inch deep and 1 inch apart over its entire surface area. The holes should go all the way through so steam can escape during cooking, but don’t cut through their bottoms!
Place on baking tray and bake for about an hour or so, depending on size.
Place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and bake for about an hour or so, depending on size. You’ll know they’re done when you can easily pierce them with a fork, or if they have a nice brown crust on them. If they’re still not soft enough after an hour, leave them in for another 15 minutes until done!
If you find that your sweet potato isn’t quite as soft as you’d like it to be after baking it into oblivion in the oven (and this happens sometimes), try microwaving it instead of baking it next time!
Test doneness by inserting a knife; it should slide smoothly through the flesh of potato.
To test for doneness, insert a knife into the center of your sweet potato. If it slides in easily, then it’s done! If it sticks, then you need to cook longer.
If you’re worried about burning your fingers on an oven-toasted sweet potato by accidently touching its hot skin before serving time, try wrapping each baked potato in aluminum foil first before storing them in an airtight container or Ziploc bag until ready to eat. This prevents steam from escaping and keeps them warm until serving time–no more burnt fingertips!
Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before peeling the skin off with your hands or a flexible spatula.
Once the sweet potatoes are cooked and cooled, you can remove their skin by cutting off the top part of each potato with a knife and then peeling it off with your hands or a flexible spatula.
Sweet potatoes are delicious if you bake them right.
- Sweet potatoes are a healthy alternative to regular potatoes.
- They’re a good source of vitamin A, which helps your body fight off infections and help your eyes see clearly.
- They’re also packed with vitamin C, which keeps the immune system strong and protects against colds or the flu by keeping the lungs healthy.
- Sweet potatoes are high in fiber too!
I hope this article has helped you enjoy sweet potatoes more often. They are a great source of vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber. And if you bake them right, they can be delicious too!